UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Glasson, Westmeath

Historical Description

GLASSON, a village, partly in the parish of BENOWEN, but chiefly in that of KILKENNY WEST, barony of KILKENNY WEST, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Athlone, on the road to Ballymahon; containing 33 houses and 154 inbabitants. Here are two corn-mills, one of which is also used for thickening frieze. It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions for the barony are held on alternate Wednesdays. A patent for a market and fair exists, but they are not held. There is a dispensary, and a penny post to Athlone and Ballymahon has been established. -See BENOWEN.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Glasson from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement