GLANEALY, a parish, partly in the barony of ARKLOW, but chiefly in that of NEWCASTLE, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Wicklow, on the road from Ashford to Rathdrum; containing 1531 inhabitants, of which number, 193 are in the village. It comprises 4855 statute acres, including some waste land and bog. The scenery is pleasingly diversified and enriched with timber of luxuriant growth, and there are several handsome villas; the principal are Hollywood, the residence of A. S. Broomfield, Esq.; Ballyfrea, of J. Dickson, Esq.; Glencarrig, of H. J Segrave, Esq.; Favorita, of the Rev. Leek McDonnell; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. C. Armstrong. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Wicklow; the tithes amount to £283. 10. 5., and there is a glebe of 3 acres and a glebe-house. The church, which is in the later English style, was erected in 1783, by aid of a grant from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £111 for its repairs. In the R. C. divisions also it is in the union of Wicklow; there is a small chapel in the village. Besides the parochial school, about 60 children are instructed in a national school, and there are two private schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glanealy from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.