GIRLEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.) from Athboy, on the road from Mullingar to Navan; containing 1480 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4637 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about two-thirds are grass land of excellent quality, and the remainder under good cultivation, with the exception of a considerable tract of bog extending into the neighbouring parish of Burry; there are some thriving plantations. The principal seats are Drewstown, the residence of F. McVeigh, Esq., a handsome house in a highly improved demesne; Johnsbrook, of J. Tandy, Esq., pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully embellished; and Triermore, of T. Rotheram, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Athboy; the rectory is impropriate in Dominick O'Reilly, Esq. The tithes amount to £201. 1. 7., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar; there is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 1½ acre. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kells; the chapel at Fordstown is a handsome modern building, erected in 1800. About 60 children are taught in a private school, of which the school-house is occupied rent-free. There are some remains of the ancient parish church.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.