Gilbertstown or Bendenstown, Carlow
GILBERTSTOWN, or BENDENSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Tullow, on the road to Leighlin; containing 567 inhabitants. Building stone is found, and there is some bog. Prior to 1830 the parish formed part of the union of Aghade. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £250. 0. 8. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Ballon and Ratoe, comprising the parishes of Gilbertstown, Ballon, Kellistown, Templepetre, Aghade, and parts of Fennagh and Urglin, in which union are two chapels, situated at Ballon and Ratoe. About 180 children are educated in a national school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gilbertstown or Bendenstown from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Gilbertstown or Bendenstown)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.