GAULSKILL, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Waterford, on the road to Thomastown; containing 322 inhabitants. It is also called Kiltokegan and Kilskegan, and comprises 1325 acres, including a lake of 100 acres. The ancient castle appears, from a monument in the church, to have formerly belonged to the De Burgo family. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Dunkitt: the tithes amount to £75; near the church is a small glebe. The church was built in 1792, by aid of a gift of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £176 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilmacow.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gaulskill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.