Frankford or Kilcormuck, Kings County
FRANKFORD, or KILCORMUCK, a market and post-town, in the parish and barony of BALLYBOY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 9½ miles (S. W.) from Tullamore, and 59 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the Silver river, and on the road from Tullamore to Parsonstown; containing 204 houses and 1112 inhabitants. A considerable corn market is held every Saturday; and fairs on May 28th and Nov. 8th. It is a constabulary police station, and has petty sessions on Saturdays. It gives name to the R. C. union or district, of which Ballyboy is the head, and contains the chapel. Here is a meeting-house under the Home Mission Society, and a dispensary. A monastery for Carmelites, or White Friars, was founded at this place by Odo, son of Neilan O'Molloy, dynast of the circumjacent territory of Fircal, or Fearcall; the founder died in 1454, and was buried before the high altar. On the suppression of monasteries, this house and its dependencies were granted to Robert Leycester, Esq., from whose family it passed by marriage to the Magawleys, whose seat, Temora, is in the vicinity. The present name of the town seems to be derived from the family of Frank, of whom James Frank, Esq., founded here a charter school, opened in 1753, for upwards of forty children. Near the town is Broghill castle, formerly the chief seat of the O'Molloys, and once held by the sept of O'Connor: it was taken, in 1538, by Lord Leonard Gray. The estate now belongs to the Fitzsimon family. -See BALLYBOY.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frankford or Kilcormuck from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Frankford or Kilcormuck)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.