St Francis Abbey, Limerick
FRANCIS ABBEY (ST.), an extra-parochial district, in the centre of the city of Limerick; containing 1483 inhabitants. This district comprises the site, garden, and precincts of the ancient Franciscan monastery, founded in the reign of Hen. III. by Fion de Burgo, and in which he was interred in 1287. The abbey continued to flourish till the dissolution, when it was granted to Alderman Sexton, and now forms part of the estate of the Earl of Limerick. It is situated in the Island, or Englishtown, and wholly surrounded by the parish of St. Mary, to which it nominally belongs, and in the R. C. divisions forms part of that parish. There are no vestiges of the ancient buildings, nor can their exact site be ascertained.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Francis Abbey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (St. Francis Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.