FINAE, a village, in the parish of FAVORAN, barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Castle-Pollard, on the road from Old castle to Granard, and on the confines of the county of Cavan; containing 241 inhabitants. In 1331, Sir Anthony Lucy, Lord-Justice, defeated the Irish forces near this place, after an obstinately contested battle; and in 1644, Gen. Monroe routed a detachment of Lord Castlehaven's army here, where also, in 1651, the parliamentarian forces under Cols. Hewson and Jones obtained a victory over the royalists, commanded by Pheagh Mac Hugh O'Byrne, and took the village by storm. The counties of Westmeath and Cavan are separated at this place by a stream connecting Lough Sheelin with Lough Kinale, and over which is a stone bridge of nine arches. The village consists of 45 houses, badly built, and in a state of dilapidation. Fairs are held on March 17th, the Saturday before Whitsuntide, Sept. 18th, and Nov. 15th.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Finae from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.