UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Feighcullen, Kildare

Historical Description

FEIGHCULLEN, a parish, partly in the barony of EAST OPHALY, but chiefly in that of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4¾ miles (N.) from Kildare, on the Grand Canal; containing 890 inhabitants. It comprises 3835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, exclusively of a large tract of bog, and about 20 acres of common: the state of agriculture is gradually improving. At Grange Hill is a vein of lend ore. The gentlemen's seats are Newington, the residence of S. Neale, Esq.; Christian's Town, of J. Forbes, Esq.; Whilan, of _ Cooper, Esq.; and Washington, of R. Mothersill, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the gift of the Crown: the tithes amount to £180. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 10 acres. The church is a small but handsome structure, erected by a gift of £830 and a loan of £277 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829, and for its repair a grant of £248 has been recently made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmaogue, also called Allen and Milltown: the chapel is a large building at Milltown. A public school has been established there, for which a house was built by the late Rev. J. Lawler, P.P. About 60 children are educated in two private schools.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Feighcullen from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kildare is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement