ENNISNAG, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5½ miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the King's river, and on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 550 inhabitants. It comprises 1200 statute acres, of which 10 are woodland, 950 arable, 200 pasture, and about 40 waste. There are two flour-mills. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £169. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a neat modern structure, was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the same Board, in 1815, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £124 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Danesfort.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ennisnag from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.