EMYVALE, a post-town, in the parish of DONAGH, barony of TROUGH, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 5¾ miles (N. by W.) from Monaghan, and 71½ (N. W. by N.) from Dublin, on the road from Monaghan to Aughnacloy; containing 123 houses and 571 inhabitants. This town, which is nearly on the confines of the counties of Armagh and Tyrone, consists principally of one street, and is skirted by a stream tributary to the river Blackwater, which, descending from the mountains on the west, frequently, becomes a rapid and dangerous torrent after heavy rains. On its banks is a large flour-mill, and in its bed above the town is a quarry of greenstone. There is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held every fortnight in the town, in which is also a branch of the Glasslough dispensary. In the vicinity are several gentlemen's seats, which are noticed in the account of Donagh, which see.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Emyvale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Monaghan is available to browse.