Emly-Grenan or St Malo, Limerick
EMLY-GRENAN, or ST. MALO, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Kilmallock, on the old road to Galbally. It comprises 2372 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is in general good, resting for the greater part on a substratum of limestone; about two-thirds are under tillage, and the remainder meadow and pasture, of which latter about 180 acres are rough mountain. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and part of the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Limerick: the tithes amount to £150. The glebe, consisting of lands formerly belonging to the college, which was dissolved at the Reformation, comprises 39 acres. The church, formerly collegiate, was destroyed in 1641, and has not been rebuilt; the members of the Establishment attend the church of Kilmallock. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballinvana; there is a large modern chapel at the Red-bog.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Emly-Grenan or St Malo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Emly-Grenan or St. Malo)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.