EIRKE, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 8¼ miles (S. W.) from Durrow, on the road from Rathdowney to Johnstown; containing 5565 inhabitants, and comprising 15,750 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, valued at £10,370. 6. per annum. About 2000 acres are bog. Two fairs are held at Bawn for cattle and horses; and here is a constabulary police station. Livally is the seat of _ Fitzgerald, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £692. 6. 1¾. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 15a. 25p. The church is a plain building, erected in 1823, towards which the late Board lent £650. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Fartagh and Glashane, and containing three chapels, two in Eirke and one in Fartagh; to the chapel at Moninamuck, in this parish, Lord Courtown gave an acre of land and £50 towards the expense of its erection; it is in contemplation to rebuild the other. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and has a house and an acre of land rent-free : about 50 boys and 50 girls are taught in it. There are also nine private schools, in which are about 500 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eirke from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.