Eglish, Kings County
EGLISH, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, but chiefly in that of EGLISH, or FIRCAL, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Parsonstown, on the road to Tullamore; containing 8290 inhabitants. This parish is six miles in length by four in breadth, and comprises 7722 statute acres: there is a great deal of bog, and some limestone for building and burning. Eglish Castle is the residence of Capt. English; Tullinisky, of Handy Dynelly, Esq.; Whigsborough, of R Drought, Esq.; and here is the residence of the Rev. W. Parsons. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the onion of Fircall; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £148. 12. 3., of which £96. 18. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar: the glebe comprises 116a. 2r. 38p., the annual value of which is £99. 8. The church is a very old building. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Drumcullin parish, in each of which is a chapel. There are six private schools, in which about 240 children are instructed.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eglish from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.