UK Genealogy Archives logo

Effin, Limerick

Historical Description

EFFIN, a parish, partly in the barony of COSTLEA, but chiefly in that of COSHMA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 1¾ mile (S. S. W.) from Kilmallock, on the road to Charleville; containing 2090 inhabitants, and comprising 8281 statute acres, of which 5138 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is excellent and much under tillage, and the mountain pasture good; the meadows attached to dairy farms are very productive. Newpark is the residence of J. Balie, Esq,; and Maiden Hall, of R. Low Holmes, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, constituting the corps of the prebend of Effin in the cathedral of Limerick, and in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven; the tithes amount to £320, and there is a glebe of seven acres. The church is in ruins, and the inhabitants attend that of Kilmallock. In the R. C. divisions it is united with those of Kilbreedy-minor and Kilquane; there are two small chapels, one at Effin, the other at Kilbreedy. About 90 children are taught in two hedge schools.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Effin from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.