UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Dysart, Westmeath

Historical Description

DYSART, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHCONRATH, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL and MAGHERADERNAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Mullingar, on Lough Ennel, and on the road from Mullingar to Kilbeggan; containing 1020 inhabitants. St. Colman is said to have founded an abbey here, which was eventually a house of Conventual Franciscans. One of the islands belonging to Dysart was fortified by the Irish at the close of the civil war of 1641, and made one of their chief depositories. It was taken, under capitulation, by the English, but was re-taken and the English made prisoners; it finally surrendered to a superior force. The parish comprises 4244 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is exceedingly fertile. There is a considerable tract of bog, and an abundance of limestone. Dysart House, now in ruins, and Lilliput, also uninhabited, both the property of Andrew Savage Nugent, Esq., are in the parish. There is a constabulary police station in the village. The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Churchtown: the tithes amount to £120, and the glebe contains 12 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Churchtown; the chapel is near the village. There are some remains of an old church with a cemetery.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Dysart from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.