Durrow or Castle-Durrow, Kilkenny
DURROW, or CASTLE-DURROW, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefty in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (S. by E.) from Maryborough, and 54 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Athy to Cashel; containing 2911 inhabitants, of which number, 1298 are in the town. This parish comprises 6843 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; three-fourths of the land are arable and pasture, about 1000 acres woodland, and 300 bog. The town is pleasantly situated on the bank of the river Erkin (which falls into the Nore a little below), and consists of a square and several streets, containing 236 houses, many of which are well-built and slated. It is included in the county of Kilkenny for civil purposes, but is completely surrounded by Queen's county, of which it formed a part until the Earl of Ormond, by act of parliament, procured its annexation to Kilkenny. Malt is made here; and there is a large boulting-mill belonging to Mr. Delany, also a brewery. An excellent hotel and sporting establishment was built by the late Col. Flower, which is much frequented by the nobility and gentry, and is well conducted by Mr. Bird, the proprietor. The market is held on Friday in the market-house; and fairs are held on the second Thursday (O. S.) in May, Aug., and Nov., and Feb. 2nd, March 4th, April 16th, July 3rd, and Oct. 8th. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. Petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays. A cattle show was established here, in 1801, by the Midland Farming Society. Adjoining the town is Castle-Durrow, a large ancient mansion belonging to Viscount Ashbrook, from which he takes the title of Baron; it is occupied by his son, the Hon. H. F. Walker. Here are also Donmore, the residence of E. Staples, Esq.; Moyne, of R. Hamilton Stubber, Esq.; Castlewood, of R. Lawrenson, Esq.; Grennan, of W. Lawler, Esq.; and Castle View, of T. Doe, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice's, Kilkenny; the rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the lessee under the economy estate and £120 to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of more than 18 acres. The church is a large building, with a tower and spire, and has recently been repaired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at an expense of £733. In the R. C. divisions part of the parish is in the district of Ballyragget, and the remainder with Aghamacart forms the district of Durrow. A new chapel on an elevated site of about two acres, given by Lord Ashbrook, is now in progress: it will be an elegant cruciform structure, with a tower and spire 126 feet high. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting-house in the town. The parochial schools are supported by the Hon. H. F. Walker; and there is a Sunday school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Durrow or Castle-Durrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Durrow or Castle-Durrow)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.