DUNSANY, a parish, in the barony of SKRYNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (N. W.) from Dunshaughlin, on the road from that place to Bective-bridge; containing 291 inhabitants. It comprises 899 statute acres, and contains a constabulary police station. The castle, which was erected in the 12th century, has been in the possession of the noble family of Plunkett at least since Sir Christopher Plunkett was created Lord Dunsany in 1461. It is incorporated with the modern castle, which is a very handsome Gothic building, containing some fine paintings and sculptures, and surrounded by a well planted demesne of more than 400 statute acres, within which is an ancient church where many members of the family have been interred. The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Taragh: the tithes amount to £60. In the R. C. divisions it is united with Killeen, Kilmessan, Assey, Treebly, Balsoon, and Scurloghstown, in which union or district are chapels at Dunsany and Kilmessan. About 200 children are educated in a school, for which Lord Dunsany allows a house and garden rent-free.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.