DUNKANELY, a village, in the parish of KILLAGHTEE, barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (W.) from Donegal, near Inver bay, and on the road from Killybegs to Donegal: the population is returned with the parish. In 1618 this place was a settlement of ten British families, having a territory of 1500 acres, a bawn of lime and stone, and a castle, and able to muster 50 men at arms. It consists of one street, has a penny post to Donegal, a dispensary, a place of worship for Methodists, and a public school. Twelve fairs are held in the course of the year for farming stock, and a manor court monthly for the recovery of debts under £3. In the village are the ruins of the old parish church, and in the immediate vicinity is the present church. Half a mile to the west are the ruins of Castle Mac-Swine, occupying a point of land little broader than its foundation, which projects some yards into the sea at the head of Mac-Swine's bay. -See KILLAGHTEE.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunkanely from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.