DUNBOYNE, a parish and village, (formerly an incorporated town), in the barony of DUNBOYNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Navan; containing, with the post-town of Clonee, 2419 inhabitants, of which number, 470 are in the village. This place, which is on the confines of the county of Dublin, appears to have been an ancient borough. In the reign of Hen. VI., a writ was issued, dated July 28th, 1428, ordering "the Provost and Commonalty of the town of Dunboyne to be at Trim with all their power for its defence." The town was burnt down in the disturbances of 1798; the present village contains 82 houses. The manufacture of straw hats is carried on here, and in the neighbourhood; and a fair, chiefty for horses and cattle, is held on July 9th, and is much frequented by the Dublin dealers. The parish is principally grazing land; there are about 60 acres of common, called the "Moor of Meath." The gentlemen's seats are Wood Park, that of the Rev J. Preston; Rusk, of J. Wilson, Esq.; Ballymacall, of H. Hamilton, Esq.; Humwood, of C. Hamilton, Esq.; Court Hill, of H. Green, Esq.; Sterling, of R. Barker, Esq.; Norman's Grove, of J. Shanley, Esq.; Priestown, of the Rev. J. Butler; Summerset, of S. Garrett, Esq.; and the Glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Auchinleck. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, united in 1400 to the chapelry of Kilbride, and in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in Miss E. Hamilton. The tithes amount to £835. 7. 8., of which £535. 7. 8. is payable to the impropriator and £300 to the vicar; and the tithes of the union to £347. 19. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £300, and a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814; the glebe comprises 13 acres, subject to a rent of £8 per acre. The church is an ancient edifice, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £159. The R. C. union is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and in each parish is a chapel There are national schools in which about 120 children are instructed; and a dispensary in the village is supported in the usual manner. Adjoining the village stood the ancient castle, the head of the barony, which gives the title of Baron of Dunboyne to the family of Butler.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.