DUNAMANAGH, a village and post-town, in the parish of DONAGHEADY, barony of STRABANE, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Strabane to Cookstown, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Strabane, and 118 (N. N. W.) from Dublin: the population is returned with the parish. This village, which situated in a deed and retired glen amidst the Mounterloney mountains, was founded by Sir John Drummond in 1619. It has a station of the constabulary police, and a sub-post-office to Strabane. Fairs are held on Jan. 18th, Feb. 28th, April 14th, May 27th, July 14th, Aug. 27th, Oct. 18th, and Nov. 28th. In and around the village are extensive deposits of limestone. Here is a meeting-house for Presbyterians, in connection with the synod of Ulster, a large and handsome building: that which formerly belonged to the covenanters is in ruins. At a short distance from the village are the parochial church, and male and female schools. On the site of the bawn built by Sir John Drummond is a building which, from that circumstance, is called the Castle. -See DONAGHEADY.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunamanagh from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.