DROMAHAIRE, a village, in the parish of DRUMLEASE, barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (S. E. by E.) from Sligo, on the road from Collooney to Manor-Hamilton; containing 336 inhabitants. A castle was built here in early times by a chieftain of this district, called O'Rourke, and named after him, part of which still exists, but most of it was used by Sir William Villiers in the erection of the castle of Dromahaire, under a patent dated in 1626, by which 11,500 acres of land, with power to empark 2000 acres, and hold two markets, was granted to the Duke of Buckingham. Of this castle, seven massive and ornamented stacks of chimneys remain, and the lodge occupied by Mr. Stewart, agent to G. L. Fox, Esq., occupies part of its site. At Creevlea a monastery for Franciscans of the Observantine order was established, in 1508, by Margaret ny Brien, wife of O'Rourke. This building was never completed, but the walls, in which are some curious figures, are entire, and the altar is nearly so. The effigy of the great O'Rourke lies at full length on a tomb over the burial-place of his family, and there are also curious figures over the graves of the Morroghs, Comins, and others. The village, which, together with the entire neighbourhood, has been greatly improved under the auspices of Mr. Lane Fox, contained, in 1831, 64 houses: it has a penny post to Collooney and is a constabulary police station. A market is held on Monday in a neat market-house, and a fair on the 13th of every month, and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays. A dispensary is partly supported by a subscription of £20 per annum from Mr. Lane Fox. On the side of a hill are the ruins of an old church, consisting of a nave and chancel, divided by a heavy tower supported by elliptical arches. The conventual buildings, of which the foundation is attributed to St. Patrick, formed two squares contiguous to the church.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dromahaire from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.