DOWNS, a village, in the parish of KILCOOLE, barony of NEWCASTLE, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (N.) from Newtown-Mount-Kennedy; containing 171 inhabitants and 35 houses, the greater part of which are small thatched tenements. It has a station of the constabulary police; and fairs are held on Jan. 12th, May 4th, Aug. 5th, and Nov. 12th, chiefly for cattle and pigs. Here are the ruins of an old church. The "Glen of the Downs" is described under the head of Delgany.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Downs from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.