Donowney or Downoney, Wexford
DONOWNEY, or DOWNONEY, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Taghmon; containing 208 inhabitants. This small parish is situated on the road from Enniscorthy to Duncannon Fort, and contains 1074 statute acres. It is in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory is appropriate to the see, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Horetown: the tithes amount to £38. 15. 4½., of which two-thirds are payable to the bishop and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Taghmon, but chiefly in that of Newbawn or Adamstown. There are some remains of a cromlech.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Donowney or Downoney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Donowney or Downoney)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.