Donoughmore, Queens County
DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Rathdowney, on the road from Burros-in-Ossory to Kilkenny; containing 1211 inhabitants, of which number 383 are in the village. This parish contains 3226 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: good limestone is procured in it. The village comprises about 70 houses, and contains extensive corn-mills and bacon stores, and a large starch manufactory. Fairs are held in it on March 28th, June 12th and 13th, Aug. 31st, and Dec. 12th. The Glebe-house is the residence of the Rev. J. J. Beresford; and Killadooney, of W. Calbeck, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £154. 9. 7½., and the glebe comprises 193 acres. The church was rebuilt by aid of a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Grogan, and contains a plain chapel at Killismista, also a national school. The parochial school is endowed with an acre of land by the rector.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Donoughmore from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.