DONORE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Drogheda, on the road to Navan; containing 1191 inhabitants, of which number, 124 are in the village. This parish anciently formed part of the possessions of the abbey of Mellifont. On July 1st, 1690, it was the position occupied by Jas II. during the battle of the Boyne, a detailed account of which is given in the article on Drogheda, The parish comprises 1954 acres: the ground under cultivation is naturally very productive, and there is neither waste land nor bog. Abundance of limestone is procured from an old and well-worked quarry at Sheephouse, and is much used for building; it is of a handsome light colour. By the canal, passing by Oldbridge, from Drogheda to Navan, timber, slates, stone, and coal are brought to Donore, and corn taken back to Drogheda. Old Bridge, the seat of H. B. Coddington, Esq., is situated in an extensive demesne, well planted, on the banks of the Boyne; a residence called Farm is also the property of this gentleman; and Stalleen is the property and occasional residence of William Sharman Crawford, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is partly impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda, but the greater part of the parish is tithe-free: the parishioners attend divine service at the churches of Duleek and Drogheda. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Rosnaree, comprising the parishes of Donore and Knockcomon, in each of which is a chapel. There is a school in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are taught. The ruins of the church consist of a gable and part of a side wall. In the lands of Old Bridge are several trenches and redoubts used at the battle of the Boyne; and at the foot of King William's glen is an obelisk in commemoration of the battle. Duke Schomberg is believed to have been buried within the gate of the grounds of H. B. Coddington, Esq.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.