DONEMAGAN, a parish, in the barony of KELLS, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Callan, on the King's river; containing 1162 inhabitants. It comprises 3447 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; and is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Knocktopher: the tithes amount to £184. 12. 3¾. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a district, which also comprises the parishes of Kilree, Ballytobin, and Kilmoganny, and part of Kells; and contains the chapels of Donemagan and Kilmoganny. About 115 children are educated in two private schools, and a Sunday school is held in the R. C. chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Donemagan from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.