DERVOCK, a post-town, in that part of the parish of DERRYKEIGHAN which is in the barony of LOWER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (E. N. E.) from Coleraine; and 128 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the turnpike road from Ballycastle to Ballymoney; containing 362 inhabitants. This is a neat and well-built town, consisting of two streets, one on each side of the river Bush, and containing about 65 houses. It belongs entirely to G. Macartney, Esq., and has been greatly improved of late years. While in the possession of the late Lord Macartney, great encouragement was afforded to the linen manufacturers to settle here. There are some extensive corn and flour-mills on the banks of the river. Fairs are held for cattle and sheep, but chiefly for horses, on Jan, 12th, Feb. 23rd, May 14th, June 22nd, Aug. 12th, and Oct. 29th. A constabulary police force has been stationed here. The parish church, a handsome structure, is situated close to the town; as is also a R. C. chapel dependent on that of Ballymoney, and the Presbyterian meeting-house of the Synod of Ulster, which is a large building. A very handsome school-house was erected by G. Macartney, Esq., in 1829, and given by that gentleman for a parochial school; attached to it is a girls' school, established in 1832, and principally supported by Mrs. Macartney. -See DERRYKEIGHAN.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dervock from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.