Derrynahinch or Derrynahensy, Kilkenny
DERRYNAHINCH, or DERRYNAHENSY, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2¼ miles (S. E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 1784 inhabitants, and comprising 8171 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Knocktopher: the tithes amount to £225. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Ballyhale, and comprising the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher, Aghaviller, Killeasy, and parts of Burnchurch, Jerpoint, and Kells in which are five chapels, that of Derrynahinch being in the village of Ballyhale. There are four private schools, in which are about 180 children, and a Sunday school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Derrynahinch or Derrynahensy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Derrynahinch or Derrynahensy)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.