DERRYGONNELLY, a market-town, partly in the parish of DEVENISH, and partly in that of INNISMACSAINT, barony of MAGHERABOY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (N. W.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Sligo; the population is returned with the respective parishes. This town, which is the property of Gen. Archdall, consists of one main street of newly built houses, and a market-house: it has a penny post to Enniskillen. The market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on the 24th of each month for general farming stock. A constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held every alternate week: a manorial court also is occasionally held. It contains a R. C. chapel dependent on that of Devenish, which union or district is also called Derrygonnelly, and a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Near the town are the ruins of an old church, originally a chapel of ease to the parochial church, built by the Dunbar family.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Derrygonnelly from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.