DERRYGALVIN, a parish, in the county of the city of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Limerick, on the road to Tipperary; containing 122 inhabitants. It comprises 1592 statute acres, of which 18 are bog: the land is remarkably good, about one-half under tillage, the remainder excellent meadow land attached to the large dairy farms which supply the city of Limerick with milk and butter. The principal seats are Coolanave, the residence of J. Shine, Esq.; Ballyclough House, of H. Rose, Esq.; and Killonan House, of F. O'Brien, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and is part of the union of Kilmurry: the tithes amount to £128. The glebe lands comprise six acres, and are subject to a rent of £6 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of St. Patrick's, Limerick. The dioceses of Limerick, Killaloe, and Cashel meet in the townland of Scart. There are ruins of the old church. The basaltic formations here have a very curious appearance, and seem to indicate a volcanic origin.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Derrygalvin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.