DERRYBRUSK, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Enniskillen; containing 1329 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4656¼ statute acres, of which 4372¼ are in the barony of Tyrkennedy; 241½ are water, and 2298 are applotted under the tithe act. Adjoining Lough Erne a monastery for Dominican friars was founded, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by Mac Manus, lord of the place, of which there are still some remains, also traces of the village of Gola, in which it was situated. Derrybrusk House is the seat of J. Deering, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £77. 10. 9¼.; the glebe comprises 40 acres. There has been no church from time immemorial in this parish; the Protestant inhabitants of the central and southern portions attend the churches of the neighbouring parishes, and divine service is performed in a school-house once on the first Sunday in every month. There is a school at Ballyreague, in which are about 50 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Derrybrusk from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.