DANESCASTLE, a village, in the parish of CARRICK, barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Taghmon, on the road to Bannow; containing 123 inhabitants. This village, which derives its name from an ancient castle in its vicinity, is, from its proximity to the sea, much frequented during the summer season for bathing; and a facility of communication is afforded by a public car running hence through Taghmon to Wexford. The R. C. chapel of the district, a neat and spacious edifice, stands in the village; and in the chapel yard is a comfortable residence for the priest, adjoining which is a good school-house in connection with the National Board. Here is a dispensary, and a penny post to Taghmon has been established. At a short distance from the village are the ruins of Danes Castle, consisting of a lofty square tower, the erection of which is attributed to the earliest of the Norman settlers, and partakes much of the gloomy character of that period. See CARRICK.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Danescastle from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.