Alderholt, a tithing and a chapelry in Cranborne parish, Dorset. The tithing lies on the verge of the county, 4½ miles E of Cranborne, and 5½ N of Ringwood railway station, and has a post office under Salisbury; money order office, Fordingbridge; telegraph office, Daggens Road (R.S.) Population, 696. The chapelry includes the tithing, but is larger, and was constituted in 1849. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; net value, £123. The church was built by the Marquis of Salisbury.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Cranborne||- 1894|
|Civil parish||Alderholt||1894 -|
|County Court district||Wimborne|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cranborne St. Mary & St. Bartholemew||- 1849|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alderholt St. James||1849 -|
|Poor Law union||Wimborne and Cranborne||1894 -|
|Registration sub-district||Cranborne||1837 - 1911|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the complete 1901 census return for Alderholt.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials for Alderholt begins in 1849. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
Cranborne should be consulted for records prior to 1849.
The parish church of St James, Alderholt, at Daggans, erected by the Marquess of Salisbury, is a building of local sandstone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, western porch, and a turret containing one bell: there are 150 sittings.
Alderholt was included in Wimborne Registration District from 1837 to 1937, Blandford Registration District from 1937 to 1956, and Poole Registration District from 1956 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alderholt from the following:
Alderholt, Daggons, Crendell, and Cripplestyle were formed into an ecclesiastical district 14 November 1849 (St. James, Alderholt)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Alderholt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cCrendell
The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.