CUSHENDUN, a small sea-port, partly in the parish of CULFEIGHTRIN, in the barony of CAREY, and partly in that of LAYDE, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Cushendall; the population is returned with the respective parishes. This place is situated on a small bay of that name, at the mouth of the river Dun or Glendun, and has recently been much frequented as a watering-place during the summer season. It appears to have derived its name from its situation near the mouth of the Dun, and carries on some trade in cattle and pigs with the opposite coast of Cantire, in Scotland. Here are extensive quarries of freestone. The harbour, which has been formed by the construction of a pier, partly at the expense of Government, affords good shelter to a number of small vessels, which remain here all the winter; it has good anchorage in winds blowing from the shore, and vessels of 50 tons' burden can cross the bar. There are a few small vessels from 14 to 20 tons' burden belonging to the port, and several boats are employed in the herring fishery in the bay. Here is a coast-guard station, forming one of the eight which constitute the district of Ballycastle. On the coast are some spacious caverns of singular construction.
Findmypast, in association with the National Library of Ireland, have the following Catholic parish records online for Cushendun:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cushendun from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.