Cushendall or Newtown Glenns, Antrim
CUSHENDALL, or NEWTOWN-GLENNS, a post-town, in the parish of LAYDE, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (N. W.) from Glenarm, and 116 miles (N.) from Dublin; containing 481 inhabitants. This place is beautifully situated within a quarter of a mile from the sea, on the Glenagan stream, which falls into Cushendall bay immediately below the town; it is also intersected by the river Dall, over which a handsome stone bridge has been erected. The surrounding country is strikingly romantic; and the coast, independently of the picturesque scenery it affords, is highly interesting to the geologist, from the diversity of its strata and the numerous caverns with which it abounds. The town, which is neatly built, contains about 90 houses, and is much frequented by persons visiting the Giants' Causeway, to which the new military road along the coast passes through it, and a handsome and commodious hotel has been built for their accommodation. The parish church of Layde, a small neat edifice at the western end of the town, was built in 1832, by a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. Cushendall bay affords good anchorage for vessels in from 3 to 9 fathoms of water. Fairs, chiefly for Raghery ponies, cattle, sheep, and provisions, are held on Feb. 14th, March 17th, May 14th, Aug. 15th, Sept. 29th, Nov. 14th, and Dec. 22nd. The market-house is a convenient building. A constabulary police station has been established here; also a coast-guard station, which is one of the eight constituting the district of Ballycastle. Petty sessions are held every alternate week; and there is a house of correction in the town. On a mount in it is a castle, which is attributed to the Danes. -See LAYDE.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cushendall or Newtown Glenns from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Cushendall or Newtown Glenns)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.