CULLEN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and partly in that of COONAGH, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Tipperary; containing 1412 inhabitants, of which number, 498 are in the village, which was formerly a market-town, but is now an inconsiderable place. Here is a constabulary police station; and two fairs are held, one moveable, either in May or June, the other on Oct. 29th. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, united from time immemorial to the rectories of Solloghodmore and Solloghodbeg, and the vicarage of Toughcluggin, together forming the union of Cullen, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Cashel. The tithes of the parish amount to £122. 7. 6½, and of the union, to £591. 5. 7¼. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £900, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits: there are three glebes in the union, comprising together 45¼ acres. The church is a plain building. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Lattin: the chapel is a small building. The parochial schools, in which about 20 boys and 10 girls are educated, are supported by the incumbent, and about 120 children are taught in two hedge schools. In a small bog has been found a great number of interesting relics of remote antiquity, an account of which was furnished to the Society of Antiquaries, in 1714, by Governor Pownall, and which is inserted in their ArchÃ¦ologia.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cullen from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.