CRUISETOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Nobber, on the road to Kells; containing 427 inhabitants. It comprises about 2430 statute acres, two-thirds of which are under tillage; there are some quarries of black stone. Cruisetown, formerly the property of the ancient family of Cruise, now belongs to Mr. Shaw, who contemplates building a new house here: in the demesne are two lakes. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the tithes amount to £100. Here is neither church, glebehouse, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Nobber: the chapel is a plain building. About 30 boys and 12 girls are educated at a hedge school at Altamont. There are some small remains of the ancient church, with a burial-ground attached, in which are some very ancient monuments of the Cruise family.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cruisetown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.