Zeal Monachorum, Devon
Zeal Monachorum, a parish, with three hamlets, in Devonshire, 2½ miles from Bow station on the L. & S.W.R., and 7 NW by W of Crediton. Post town, Bow. Acreage, 3313; population, 405. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor was given by King Canute to Buckfast monastery, took thence the name of Monkenfield, Monkenzeal, or Zeal Monachorum, and belongs now to the Ley family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £330 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, with an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Zeal-Monachorum St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Zeal Monachorum from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Zeal-Monachorum (St. Peter))
Online maps of Zeal Monachorum are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cLoosebeare
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.