Yealmpton, a village and a parish in Devonshire, The village stands on the river Yealm, 5 miles SE of Plympton station on the G.W.R., with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Plymouth. It was anciently known as Yealhampton, was once an important place with the status of a borough, is now much decayed, is a seat of petty sessions, and has a monthly cattle market. The parish includes Yealm Bridge, Dunston, Yeo, Weston, and Lyneham hamlets, and comprises 3191 acres; population, 879. At Yealm Bridge are chair, cabinet, and flock works, employing a large number of hands, and marble, granite, and limestone quarries. The manor belonged to the Saxon king Ethelwold, passed to the Fitzherberts, the Hastingses, and others, and belongs now to the Bastard family. There are several good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church was partly restored but mainly rebuilt in 1850 at a cost of about £7500, and is a building of stone in mixed styles of architecture. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yealmpton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yealmpton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Yealmpton (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Yealmpton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cYealm Bridge
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.