UK Genealogy Archives logo

Yarnscombe, Devon

Historical Description

Yarnscombe, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 3 miles W of Umberleigh station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6½ S by E of Barnstaple. Post town, Barnstaple; money order office, High Bickington; telegraph office, Umberleigh railway station. Acreage, 3470; population, 294. The manor belongs to the Rolle family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £140. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There are Baptist and Bible Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishYarnscombe St. Andrew 
HundredHartland 
Poor Law unionTorrington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1653.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Yarnscombe


Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower on the north side containing 6 bells, the first three dated respeetively 1709, 1631 and 1608: the chancel retains a piscina: there is an octagonal font of the Tudor period, and the staircase to the rood loft remains and some ancient stained glass, but the screen has disappeared: on the north side of the chancel, within a low-arched recess, is an altar-tomb, the upper slab of which bears a partly effaced inscription to John Cockworthy and his wife, of the 15th century; the church contains besides several monuments of the Loveband family from 1680, including one to the Rev. A. W. Loveband M.A. vicar, d. 1878; also memorials of the Trevelyans (1623), Pollards (1667) and Champneys (1681): the church was repaired and a vestry added in 1852, and the whole church was thoroughly restored in 1888-9 at a cost of £700: there are 160 sittings.

St. Andrew, Yarnscombe


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Yarnscombe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Yarnscombe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictTorridge
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX31
Post TownBarnstaple