Woolfardisworthy or Woolsery, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 9 miles WSW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office, of the name of Woolsery, under Bideford, a hotel, and two annual fairs. The parish includes four hamlets, and comprises 6119 acres; population of the civil parish, 660; of the ecclesiastical, 505. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £90 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman style, and has been restored. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woolfardisworthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Woolfardisworthy (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Woolfardisworthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.