Woolborough, a parish in Devonshire, 1 mile from Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R. It contains chief part of Newton Abbot town. Post town, Newton Abbot. Acreage, 1065; population of the civil parish, 8521; of the ecclesiastical, 8525. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Devon. See NEWTON ABBOT.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woolborough St. James|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woolborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Woolborough (St. James))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.