CONVOY, a parish and village, in the barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Raphoe; containing 5880 inhabitants, of which number, 856 are in the village. It is situated on the river Dale, and on the road from Stranorlar to Raphoe, from which latter parish it was separated in 1825, and formed into a distinct parish, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 20,082 statute acres. At its north-western extremity is the mountain of Cark, 1198 feet above the level of the sea. The village consists of one long street, comprising 73 houses; and has fairs on May 11th, Oct. 26th, and Nov. 3rd. The village of Cornagillagh is also in this parish. Convoy House is the residence of R. Montgomery, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the gift of the Dean of Raphoe: the curate's income consists of £75 paid by the dean, and £25 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church is a handsome structure, in the ancient English style of architecture, and was erected by aid of a gift of £420, and a loan of £300, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Raphoe, and has a large plain chapel near the village. There is a meeting-house for Presbyterians, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class; also one for Covenanters. The parochial school is aided by a grant from Col. Robertson's fund; and there are seven other public schools in the parish, in all of which more than 500 children are taught; also four Sunday schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Convoy from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.