Woodland, a village and a parish in Devonshire, 5 miles WSW of Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R. Post town, Ashburton, under Newton Abbot. Acreage, 1634; population, 184. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £210 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Late Perpendicular style. There are some slate quarries in the neighbourhood, producing a superior quality of green and purple slate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodland from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.