Colmolyn or Culmullen, Meath
COLMOLYN, or CULMULLEN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DEECE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Dunshaughlin; containing 934 inhabitants, of which number, 51 are in the hamlet. This parish is situated on the cross road from Kilcock to Warrenstown, and contains 2091 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Colmolyn House is the elegant residence of A. J. Dopping, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Knockmark; the rectory is impropriate in the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin The tithes amount to £280, one-half of which is payable to the Provost and Fellows, the other to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dunshaughlin, and has a large and handsome chapel. There is a school of 18 boys and 5 girls, for which Mr. Dopping allows a house and garden rent-free. Near Colmolyn House are the remains of an ancient church, and on the eastern side of the parish is an extensive rath.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colmolyn or Culmullen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Colmolyn or Culmullen)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.