Clounshire or Clonshere, Limerick
CLOUNSHIRE, or CLONSHERE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, on the road from Limerick to Rathkeale, 1½ mile (W.) from Adare; containing 542 inhabitants, and comprising 1124 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about half of which is under cultivation, and the remainder is cold, dry, strong pasture. Limestone abounds. Here are two flour-mills, worked by excellent machinery, the produce of which is chiefly sent to Limerick. Clounshire House, the residence of J. Dickson, Esq., is pleasantly situated amid flourishing plantations. The rectory and vicarage form part of the union of Rathkeale and corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Limerick: the tithes amount to £90: there is a glebe of seven acres of good land. In the R.C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Adare. The parochial schools, in which are 60 boys and 30 girls, were built and are supported by J. Dickson, Esq. The ruins of the ancient castle of Gurran Buidhe form a conspicuous object; and the ruins of Clounshire, or Clonshere, castle are in the valley, near the mill. Some remains of the old church also exist, and in the churchyard are the shafts of two very ancient crosses.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clounshire or Clonshere from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Clounshire or Clonshere)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.