CLOUGH, a post-town, in the parish of LOUGHIN-ISLAND, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Downpatrick, on the road to Newry, and 68¾ miles (N. by E.) from Dublin; containing 309 inhabitants. Here is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on May 27th, July 5th, Oct. 21st, Nov. 22nd, and Dec. 23rd. In the vicinity are Seaforde House, the splendid mansion of M. Forde Esq.; Mount Panther, the beautiful seat of J. Reed Allen, Esq.; and Ardilea, that of the Rev. W. Annesley. Here is a large Presbyterian meeting-house in connection with the Synod of Ulster, but it has been closed several years.-See LOUGHIN-ISLAND.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clough from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.