Witheridge, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 7 miles ENE of Lapford station on the L.&S.W.R., and 8 E of Chulmleigh. It was once a borough and a market-town, and has four annual fairs, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Morchard Bishop. The parish comprises 7001 acres; population of the civil parish, 868; of the ecclesiastical, 1022. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. There are a branch bank and a butter factory in the village. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. There are several good seats in the neiglibourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £370 with residence. The church is Early Perpendicular, with an embattled tower, and was largely restored in 1882. There are Bible Christian and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Witheridge St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witheridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Witheridge (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.