CLONODONNELL, a parish, in the barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Longford, on the road to Strokestown; the population is returned with the parish of Killashee, It contains 1889 acres of arable and pasture land, and 3372 of bog. Good limestone is found, much of which is burnt in the vicinity of Richmond harbour, which place has a penny post to Longford, and a distillery manufacturing 80,000 gallons of whiskey annually, and employing about 70 men. The Royal Canal terminates there, and enters the Camlin, which joins the Shannon. The principal seats are Springfield, the residence of Capt. V. Skipton; and Rhynnmount, of W. D'Arcy, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united, with part of the rectory, by act of council in 1781, to the rectory and vicarage of Killashee; the other portion of the rectory is appropriate to the see: the tithes amount to £71. 11. 2., of which £26. 6. 11. is payable to the archbishop of Tuam, and £51. 4. 3. to the vicar. There is a glebe of 19a. 2r. 25p. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union of Killashee (which see), and has a chapel at Richmond harbour, where a school is supported by the incumbent, who built the school-house on the glebe, and uses it as a lecture-room. On the island of Clondra are the remains of a very ancient church; and near it are the ruins of Clonleman castle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clonodonnell from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.